As many of us in the industry are aware, publishing today is a constantly changing landscape. In addition to traditional publishing routes, agents and authors recognize the need—and benefits—of looking in new directions for the greatest success for their work. One of those directions is ebook publishing—one of the fastest growing platforms in the industry today.
Untreed Reads is an innovative ebook publishing house that is committed to the promotion and visibility of its authors throughout the publishing industry. With our network of over 200 online retail and distribution sales outlets worldwide, and our catalog of titles already available in 98% of both academic and public libraries on every continent, Untreed Reads is dedicated to bringing the best fiction and nonfiction ebooks to readers throughout the world.
We are pleased to currently work with many literary agents, both in the United States and around the world, helping their authors achieve success with new work—and introducing previously published works to a new generation and new audiences.
Untreed Reads is not a self-publishing company. Although self-publishing has become more available today, with assistance from retailers like Amazon and Apple, this avenue can be fraught with technological challenges—and it does not include widespread distribution and promotion.
We offer authors and agents a full range of ebook publishing opportunities, regardless of the size of your catalog:
Publishing—We welcome quality fiction and nonfiction, previously published and original, full-length and short works in multiple genres.
Key author and agent benefits for authors under contract with Untreed Reads are listed below, along with our current submission requests. Visit our Submissions page for full submission guidelines.
Distribution—We have one of the largest worldwide ebook distribution sales channels in the industry.
If any of your authors already have an ebook or want to create and sell them on their own, we can definitely supplement and expand their sales efforts. This service is nonexclusive, with royalties of 70% to the author. Visit our Distribution page for more details.
Production Services—We also have a comprehensive menu of services to help produce quality ebooks in multiple electronic formats, including EPUB, Kindle, and PDF.
Some authors, agents, publishers, and companies would prefer to produce their own books, training manuals, promotion materials, and more. We’ve become known for the high editorial and design quality of our published work, and now help others achieve the same quality in their work. Visit our Production page for a list of services available for authors not under contract with Untreed Reads.
Key Benefits for Authors and Agents Publishing Ebooks Through Untreed Reads
- Author royalties—50%
- Author retains copyright
- The largest worldwide retail, distribution, and library sales network of any ebook publisher, including Amazon, Apple, Google Books, and many more, and we are constantly adding new retailers and distributors
- All works published in a variety of electronic formats downloadable to computers, mobile devices, and dedicated ebook readers, including the Kindle, Nook, and iPad
Covered under the Author Contract—at no cost to author:
- Scan from print to electronic file if needed
- Cover art
- Assessment edit and final proofread
- Formatting, conversion, and posting to the multiple electronic formats required by different retailers and distributors
- Ongoing promotion in multimedia of both front-list and back-list titles, including, in partnership with our authors, arranging publicity and reviews
- Author media kit for those authors and agents interested in conducting advanced promotion
- Two-year renewable contract
- Author may still pursue mainstream print publishing; rights returned to author for release to print publisher
- Commitment to a high level of service
- NEW— Print-on-demand for many full-lengths.
Seeking Submissions—Fiction and Nonfiction
Updated January 2015
All submissions from literary agents are welcome, regardless of length or genre. In particular…
Untreed Reads is actively seeking the following full-length, novella, and short-story collection FICTION works:
- Full-length horror
- Full-length romance
- Full-length young adult and new adult, chapter-book submissions
We define young adult as appropriate for 8th grade and higher. “Edgy” material is most definitely welcome.
- Titles in foreign languages
- Novellas/novelettes (10,000 words to 30,000 words)
- Reprints and print works that have not previously appeared in ebook format
Untreed Reads is actively seeking the following NONFICTION works of most lengths:
- Biographies and autobiographies
- Pop culture
- Cultural and social works
- Business trade
- Training and education
For more information or to discuss an opportunity, please email Jay Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org.