Untreed Reads 2013 Submission Guidelines
UPDATE: March 2013
All submissions from literary agents are welcome, regardless of length or genre.
The below applies to works being considered for publishing—under contract, and Untreed Reads incurs all costs of production. If instead you are interested in production or nonexclusive distribution only, visit our Distribution and Production pages for more information.
Untreed Reads is actively seeking the following full-length, novella and short-story collection fiction works:
- Full-length horror
Full-length young adult and new adult, chapter-book submissions
We define young adult as appropriate for 8th grade and higher. “Edgy” material is most definitely welcome.
- Titles in foreign languages
- Novellas/novelettes (10,000 words to 30,000 words)
- Reprints and print works that have not previously appeared in ebook format
Untreed Reads is actively seeking the following nonfiction works of most lengths:
- Biographies and autobiographies
- Cultural and social works
- Business trade
- Training and education
What We Do and Don’t Accept
Due to a high number of submissions, at this time, we are not accepting individual short story submissions or full-length fiction outside of the genres mentioned above—with the exception of materials from literary agents, existing Untreed Reads authors, and for the creation of ebook versions of previously published full-length print works or reprints of either print or ebook. We will also consider short story anthologies and collections.
We do not publish poetry or titles in the areas of religion, spirituality or New Age. We will never accept or consider titles that deal in misogyny, rape, child molestation or incest.
We do not accept any works for consideration that have already been released through self-publishing venues (i.e., Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, etc.). If you’d like us to distribute these ebooks for you, please look at our Distribution and Services tab.
If you’ve found that a work you’ve written doesn’t fit into a specific genre, we’re looking for you as well. We are excited about exceptional prose, so bring us your well-crafted story.
Note: All submissions must be in electronic form as Microsoft Word 97 or higher (DOC), RTF or ODT files, in Times New Roman.
What Untreed Reads Brings to You
Untreed Reads does not believe that an author should have to shoulder all of the responsibility of publicizing themselves, while the publisher reaps the rewards. Untreed Reads is committed to bringing as much visibility to its authors as it can, including setting up interviews, blog opportunities and being part of special events.
Naturally, we expect authors to actively promote their works, but they will NEVER have to be on their own. Please understand that writing is a business, and you should be willing to spend a significant amount of time promoting your work.
Many (but not all) of our vendors give us the option to apply DRM (Digital Rights Management); however, as a company, Untreed Reads does not support DRM, so we do not apply DRM to any Untreed Reads–created versions. This means that we can request DRM applied when they are sold through most of our vendors, but will not be applied for versions sold from the Untreed Reads Store.
Royalties are split 50/50 with the author. We are in a partnership with our authors, and we’ll strive to provide a level of service and promotion that earns that percentage.
We’re interested in bringing together quality authors with eager readers. Untreed Reads IS a business, but it won’t forget its heart and ethics.
All royalties are paid on a quarterly basis. Due to the nature of the ebook business, we do not provide advances.
Authors always retain their own copyright to their material.
Additional Key Benefits for Authors
- Ebooks promoted and sold through 200 online retail and distribution sales outlets worldwide, including Amazon, Apple, Google Books and many more, as well as thousands of library purchasers on every continent, and our online bookstore—and we are constantly adding new retailers and distributors
- All works published in a variety of electronic formats downloadable to computers, mobile devices and dedicated ebook readers, including the Kindle, Nook and iPad
Covered under the Author Contract—at no cost to author:
- Scan from print to electronic file if needed
- Cover art
- Assessment edit and final proofread
- Formatting, conversion and posting to the multiple electronic formats required by different retailers and distributors
- Ongoing promotion in multimedia of both front-list and back-list titles, including, in partnership with our authors, arranging publicity and reviews
- Author media kit for those authors and agents interested in conducting advanced promotion
- Two-year renewable contract
- Author may still pursue mainstream print publishing; rights returned to author for release to print publisher
- Commitment to a high level of service
- NEW—Coming summer of 2013—POD and audiobook for most full-length titles
What We Require from You
For all submissions:
- Should be sent in their entirety with your name and email address in the document. We need to receive the whole manuscript unless the work is not yet completed.
- As noted above, all submissions must be in electronic form as Microsoft Word 97 or higher (DOC), RTF or ODT files, in Times New Roman. Any other formats will automatically be rejected.
- If your work contains diagrams or photos, you are welcome to submit the electronic format of the text without the images, and should your work be accepted we will request the images at a later time.
- Times New Roman, 12pt is the preferred font and size but we promise not to banish you to a desert island should your work come in slightly different. Upon acceptance, we do have formatting guidelines for you to execute on your manuscript.
- Cover art, a content assessment edit and final proofread are all covered under the contract. However, a good writer should also be a fairly good editor. Poorly edited material will not be considered.
- All submissions will be acknowledged of their receipt by Untreed Reads. Please do not query on status until 90 days have passed. We must stress: we have exceptionally high standards! Due to enormous volume, please know that it is entirely possible a decision will take longer than 90 days.
- We understand the need for multiple submissions to sell your work, but there will be no bidding wars for material. If you find a better contract somewhere else, we will encourage you to accept it and move along to the next manuscript. Should you receive another offer, we’d appreciate being notified so that we may remove the manuscript from consideration.
- All work must be original, and not have appeared elsewhere unless all rights have reverted back to the author. Established authors with print works and no digital contract are especially welcome.
We recommend that an author be willing to obtain copyright for their work. This will not preclude the publication of the work, and is the author’s choice. Per the United States Copyright Office:
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.
- Please have a thick skin. Writing and publishing are creative worlds where minds don’t necessarily agree. Take criticism well, and be willing to work with us to strengthen your manuscript. Tempestuous relationships don’t work for anyone, and we would rather abandon the work than fight over it.
These requirements are subject to change at any time.
Ready to Work with Us?
If you like what you’ve read, then we’re set to read what you like!
All materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also include some information about yourself, your background, any other work you may have published and a brief blurb about your work. Don’t oversell it! Half the fun of discovering great work is in the reading. Please note that any submissions sent to any other email address without prior arrangement WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED.