Untreed Reads offers a wide range of ebook (and now print) production services built around each client’s needs. K.D. Sullivan, CEO, is an eight-time published author with over 30 years of experience in publishing, both in print and digital, while Editor-in-Chief Jay Hartman has specialized for over 15 years in the ebook industry. Their experience and management have made Untreed Reads known for its dedication to excellence.
Whether it’s a fledgling idea for a book or a completed work, we can help as much or as little as needed—and if there’s a service you need that’s not listed below, please ask. We have a wide network of contacts and resources to meet your needs.
We welcome a broad range of projects: fiction or nonfiction, original or previously published, from article- to full-length works, and in almost any language.
If you’re interested in entering or expanding your presence in the ebook and digital publication space or ready to move your content to print solutions, we’re here to help.
Each unique project has its own characteristics. For this reason, some of the services listed below are built within a price range or indicate that the cost will be determined after an assessment of the work.
Note: In this electronic world, a standard manuscript page is considered to be 250 words. Projects can be billed by the hour or by the page, according to client preference.
For Digital and/or Print Services
Straight Proofreading—ensures accuracy in spelling, punctuation, grammar, consistency—and some elements of formatting
$40/hr. or $3.50-$4.50/pg. (approx. 10 pgs./hr.)
Editorial Proofreading—encompasses all the tasks in straight proofreading, with additional attention to light editorial sentence improvement
$45/hr. or $5-$6/pg. (approx. 8 pgs./hr.)
Copyediting—involves all straight proofreading tasks and also improves phrasing and organization to make the writing more effective
$50/hr. or $10-$12/pg. (approx. 5 pgs./hr.)
Substantive Editing—a higher level of editing, rewriting, organization, and potentially the development of ideas, approach and marketing
$60/hr. or $20-$25/pg. (approx. 3 pgs./hr.)
- Coauthoring—professional writing assistance, which traditionally includes writing credit
- Ghostwriting—professional writing assistance, with limited or no writing credit
Rate is quoted on a per-project basis
Cover Art Design and Creation—up to 3 mockups and 3 rounds of discussion
- Using stock images: $100-$200
- Original Design: $500-$1000
- Scan from print book (paperback or hard copy) to MS Word and/or PDF: $75
- Scan from PDF to MS Word: $35
Note: All scanned files should be proofread (either by Untreed Reads or your own proofreader), as the scanning process can introduce errors. The number of errors in part depends on the quality and complexity of the source material.
Advanced Content Creation
Through our collaboration with Scribe, a leader in ebook creation, XML and multipurpose publishing, we can simplify your workflow:
- Create your content once, and simultaneously publish in print and/or electronic formats.
- Input from familiar applications, including Microsoft Word, InDesign and QuarkXPress.
- User-friendly Well-Formed Document Workflow (WFDW) holds your content in XML to create high-quality ebooks, optimized for all current reading devices.
- Easily port your content to all future software and standards, despite the inevitable changes in technology.
For advanced content creation, all services quoted on a per-project basis.
Untreed Reads can create, convert and distribute in a number of electronic formats, with the most popular formats being:
- EPUB (for iPad, Nook, smartphones and most current reading devices)
- PDF (for computers and other devices)
Files for conversion to multiple electronic formats have some unique formatting requirements.
- Basic formatting: $.25/pg.
- Complex formatting: $.30/pg.
Note: If Untreed Reads is providing conversion services for you, basic formatting is included in the Conversion rate.
Instead of a “meatgrinder” approach, you’ll work directly with our team during the conversion process:
- Straight-text conversion (0−3 images, and up to 3 editorial styles): $100 up to 350 pages
- Complex conversion (multiple images [provided by client as separate jpeg or tiff files] and/or multiple editorial styles, such as tables, endnotes, a volume of unique symbols, or foreign-accented words): $150–$350 (quote per project)
Note: Ideally, the client file provided to Untreed Reads for conversion is in Microsoft Word and meets a few basic formatting requirements. Please see Formatting options above if your project is not in Microsoft Word format.
ISBN (for electronic version only): $10 per title
Note: Electronic ISBN will be FREE if Untreed Reads is also providing Conversion or Distribution services.
We distribute ebooks and digital publications through 200+ online retail and distribution sales outlets and 98% of both public and private libraries worldwide. Just a few of our worldwide retailers and distributors include
- Baker & Taylor
- Barnes & Noble
- Google Books
- Lightning Source/Ingram
Note: Untreed Reads only distributes digital books to these retailers.
Electronic formats accepted: PDF, EPUB, Kindle
Some of the key benefits of ebook distribution through Untreed Reads include:
- Nonexclusive distribution—we can handle it all, or supplement your current efforts.
- Distribution of any length project, from articles to full length.
- Distribution in almost any language.
- No title minimum or maximum—distribute without having to meet the 20+ book minimums required by some distributors.
- Leverage our review channels for broader recognition.
- Work with real human beings throughout the process—who are there to help you every step of the way.
- Offer promotions, sales, coupons, media tie-ins, gift certificates, and more, through the Untreed Reads Bookstore and through various retailers.
- Option to apply DRM (Digital Rights Management) security through most of our vendors.
- Most works are posted within 2 to 14 days from the time that final formatted files are received by Untreed Reads.
- Author receives high-percentage royalty payment without incurring other charges.
Distribution Royalty: We offer clients one of the highest percentages in the industry:
- 85% of Net Sales* to client for titles sold via vendor retail sites.
- 70% of Net Sales* to client for titles sold via the Untreed Reads site.
*Net Sales, defined more fully in the Distribution Agreement, means gross sales, minus vendor commissions and fees. Net is much higher for Untreed Reads site sales because there are no vendor commissions.
Navigating the current publishing climate can be a daunting task for those with limited time or knowledge of the industry. With Jay’s and K.D.’s combined 45+ years in publishing, they and the Untreed Reads team can help you:
- Build your own ebook/digital content division
- Build or train your internal editorial team
- Establish appropriate pricing for your digital content
- Determine the best domestic and international sales and promotion channels for your digital content
- Create or optimize your publishing process
From simply pointing you in the right direction, to walking with you the whole way, Untreed Reads consultants are happy to provide support and expertise for your publishing journey. Untreed Reads can help any client in multiple aspects of producing your publications.
Rate is quoted on a per-project basis
Note: If we are also providing distribution and/or conversion services, then pricing and basic promotion consulting are included at no charge.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.